How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18744
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I would like some advice on a court of protection

Customer Question

I would like some advice on a court of protection application to be a deputy for my mother who has been admitted to a care home. She has advanced Alzheimer’s and I do not have power of attorney. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to a paralegal and an online service
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have downloaded forms from and done some reading up on it. There are so many people offering a service which such differing costs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

for bakground -

is there a property?

no Will?

are you the only child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a property in which my father still lives, there is a will and I have a brother
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

As you appreciate, if your mother no longer has capacity, you have to apply to become a Deputy which is a far more complicated process than just applying for a Lasting Power of Attorney.

What exactly is it that you want to know about this?