How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 605
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

I am separated from my husband but we still live in the

Customer Question

Hi i am separated from my husband but we still live in the joint mortgage property what are my rights if we sell he offered to buy me out but keeps changing his mind
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Romford essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: had the property valued before the lockdown, my ex husband offered me 40,000 but i said no i wanted 50,000 then the lockdown put a stop to everything and now hes saying i will get nothing and i cannot force him tosell
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i think thats it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, unfortunately you cannot force him to sell unless he is in agreement. If you both cannot come to a mutual agreement on the figure amongst yourselves then you can try mediation to come to an agreement. Alternatively if you are planning to file for divorce you can include the property in the financial settlement so the courts would make a decision who should get what after weighing up the evidence. Then the property can be sold according to the court order. This however can be costly and lengthy to process. Hope this helps?