How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 39632
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Employment matter has been assessed by a solicitor in

Customer Question

My Employment matter has been assessed by a solicitor in Citizen Advice Bureau Enfield and i have just received the outcome stating that "the circumstances of your case gives rise to potential claims. If an employer chooses to provide a reference, it must be 'fair, truthful and accurate'. It does not need to be full and comprehensive, but should include everything necessary to avoid being misleading.The following potential claims can be pursued:negligent misstatement—this requires the claimant to show only that the reference was unfair, untrue or inaccurate, and that this was because the author did not take all reasonable care.malicious falsehood—this requires the claimant to go beyond negligence and show that the author of the reference acted in bad faith and that financial loss has been suffered." However, he adviced that i need a solicitor CFA funding. I am on Universal Credit. Can you represent me?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was agency staff
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The manager assumed i was placed by the Social Services Directors to take her job as the Manager because i was on the system as the Department Manager. I did my best to explained to her that it is not true. She nevertheless wrote malicious, false reference which she sent to my Employment Agency and asked the Employment Agency not to tell me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Can I just check, how long had you worked there for and what are you ideally hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I worked with London Borough of Waltham Forest from August 2018 to June 2019, i want to clear my name, to get an apology and be compensated
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify – we cannot act for you, we are just an online chat service, were you looking for someone to represent you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on a No win no fee basis or Legal Aid which i am entitled for
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ok well we cannot do that for you unfortunately, we are just an online chat service

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to close this question?