Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can I open a 99999 Dormant LTD company while on furlough, I

Can I open a 99999 Dormant LTD company while on furlough , I wont have a job after October so want to prepare
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee on furlough at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you been on furlough for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Until the scheme ends , I am not sure if ill have a job to go back to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No call needed at this point Ben, Just need to know if I can open 99999 dormant company with no trading on and if I don't get back I can start my own company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Want to be prepared for the worse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just popping out for 10 min to collect kids will be back in 15 min

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. There is nothing specific in law preventing you from opening such a company whilst furloughed – certainly nothing in the rules of the furlough scheme. The only other potential restriction would be in your contract of employment with your current employer – they may have something in there which says you cannot do that so it is worth checking if that is the case. Even if there is anything that says you can’t, it is worth asking the employer for permission to do so, especially if you are likely to be out of a job soon.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I have asked my CEO/Owner and she has siad it a good idea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help

All the best