Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We recently signed an agreement with a firm called

We recently signed an agreement with a firm called Ecoclimatech during lockdown as they came to our house. This was to provide us with a new inverter which provides the power to our solar panels and also to clean our existing 16 solar panels. We have had the inverter fitted and are awaiting the firm to come back to clean the panels.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Reading Berkshire.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We were charged £2,300 for this work and originally the chap told us the inverters cost £3,000. He then rang his office and negotiated a
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the price of £2,300. O

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What would you like to ask about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As we have had the inverter fitted they still want to charge us £2;350 as we signed a contract. However we do not feel it is fair to pay so much when looking up we found the inverter to cost £500, this means we are paying £1,850 for fitting and cleaning of panels which she just said would cost £400 for the cleaning plus £140 odd for a ten year guarantee. If we do not pay she is threatening legal action. She has offered us a lower sum now of £1,500 to pay instead. So do you feel this sum is ok?

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Obviously I cannot comment on what is a good deal for an inverter as this is not so much a legal question and it is more a consumer issue. It is not uncommon for traders to charge more than what something cost, after all that is how they make their profit. Generally, they can charge whatever they want as long as they were clear from the outset about what you are getting and were not deliberately misled into believing you have to pay that amount (i.e. saying that you won’t get it cheaper anywhere else, that this is the standard price everywhere and so on).

You do not have to pay but you do run the risk of them making a claim in court. As this will go to the Small Claims Court, it is not a high risk thing for you because even if you lose you will not have to pay their legal costs as each ide pays their own. So you can try your luck if you want and if they claim it would be up to them to prove that this was a reasonable price.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks

All the best