How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2777
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My Mum passed away 24th feb in care she was self funding for

This answer was rated:

Hi there my Mum passed away 24th feb in care she was self funding for almost the 7 years she was in care towards the end she was awarded CHC. As my mum was dying I didn’t cancel her direct debit towards the care home. So as the council was paying so was my mum. I’ve tried getting in contact with the accounts manager by email and letter to sort out as my mum would of been in credit. I asked for statements if mums accounts. They eventually came with 4 months missing and saying I owed them 1,300. This wasn’t the case as we never missed a payment and what the council paid at the end of mums life wasn’t on there statement. I’ve tried to contact by email several times and I r been ignored. This is no reflection on how my mum was treated my Mum was well looked after by all at the care home along with myself who took her out 5 times a week an at the end never left mums side. It just doesn’t seem fair that she more then paid her way in and at the end the care home received her money as well as the council,I just presumed when Mum passed they would send me a cheque for the outstanding yet Iam being ignored continuously not sure what else to do can you help me please ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I’ve been in contact with the council and they have said that the accounts manager is very hard to get hold of and by there calculations I don’t owe any money they owe me around £600 but not sure as the first 4 months are missing my mum was at this care home for 3 years but 7 in total I ve been trying to get in contact with the Accountants manger fir months the manger at the care home eventually gave it me and then I got a snotty letter back saying do t contact me on this email in future contact me by letter and send it to the add above my mum wasn’t even in the care home I had to send the letter too. She never replied that was about 4 weeks ago so now I’ve been sending the manager of the home emails asking her to call me I didn’t want to bother her with this because she doesn’t do accounts and with all what’s going on in care with CV I didn’t want to bother her anymore ! Thank god they have had no cases and everyone is ok there for now but now she won’t call me back either I just don’t know why it’s just all not making sense to me
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Montgomery Care Home Huyton Liverpool I cannot stress this is no reflection on the care but the accounts manager runs Montgomery and two others under the bamec of Cranford care homes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just that this is the last thing you want to be doing when you r lost your a Mum and regardless to the amount of money they owe it’s home they’ve gone about it it’s the principle when my mum worked hard as do I and payed everything towards Care and that the care home at the end basically got paid twice and are just ignoring the fact it’s a difficult time for everyone I know but this just isn’t right

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

ReadyLaw and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I really am sorry to hear what has happened to your mom and what you are currently going through. I would imagine that this would be an extremely difficult time for you and your family.

If there has been an over payment and the care home has failed or is unwilling repay, your mother's estate may ultimately have to take steps to bring legal action against them for this money or make a formal complaint to the home about the over payment.

What I recommend is that you or the executors of your mother's estate first send a letter to the manager of the home. In this letter you should set out the amount you believe is owing and why it is that you say it is owing. You will need to state clearly when payments were made by the family as well as the council and any over payments. you should also invite them to see whether they would be open to discussing things amicably. You should also ask them for the information for the complaints department/manager which they are required to have. You may send a copy of the letter to them also.

If the problem is not adequately addressed you should then escalate your complaint to the local council. Again ensure your complaint to them is also in writing. If you’re unhappy with the response from the local council, then you need to approach the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, who may be able to investigate further.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your help I hope the will comply