Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I am currently a household member along with my brother (

Customer Question

I am currently a household member along with my brother ( household member ) and my mum who is the tenant.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my mum is looking to leave due to overcrowding and me and my brother are worried that the council will ask us to leave as we are not actually “tenants”
Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vineet
Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You can ask to get the tenancy from your mother

Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

Most council allows either the original tenant dies or the other tenant has been a household member and has been living at the property for a number of years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but she is leaving due to overcrowding so not sure the same applies to when someone dies?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

You can check with your council if this can be done, all council tenancy are allowed be changed at least once.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

For how many years you have been living at the property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 years
Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

So, if your mum who is the tenant is leaving, you can check with the council if you can take over the tenancy from your mother if that would also mean the house will not be overcrowded

Expert:  Vineet S replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today