How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

England, None, the matter relates to POA

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the matter relates to POA
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone actually there?
Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using this service. What question do you have about a power of attorney? I am a private client lawyer so will be able to assist.

Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

Please note that it is not a live chat service so there may be some delay in your receiving my answers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Helen. Myself and my two sisters have POA for both health and finances, and my mum has had to go into specialist nursing home with dementia. She no longer has capacity and cannot re do POAs. My full name is***** but my given name is***** birth certificate shows Mark GAVIN on it, and of course my driver licence and passport has my full name on them. Both POA docs show Gavin Hargreaves and not Mark. as such Nat West have accepted my sisters, but refuse to accept me as attourney. What legal remedies are available to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

As mentioned this is not a live chat, please allow time for responses.

The easiest solution is for you to show the change from your birth name to the name that you use now. This can be by a simple change of name Deed. If you submit this to the bank to show why the name on the POA differs from the name on your birth certificate then they should accept the POA.

Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

Ideally the POA should have been drafted in your legal name. Did your mum use a professional to produce the POA or was it created by the family?

Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance with this matter or kindly accept my answer so that the thread can be closed. Many thanks