How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16932
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I want a restraining order on my sons dad to stay away from

Customer Question

I want a restraining order on my sons dad to stay away from me and my son
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Aberdeen
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but will this cost me money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. A restraining order in Scotland is called and interdict and you can also get a protection from harassment order in respect of domestic abuse. In Scotland application is made, in your case, to Aberdeen sheriff court by a local solicitor acting on your behalf. An emergency order can be made, called an interim order and in some cases a power or arrest can be attached to the order so that police officers can act on any breach of the order immediately. Your solicitor will advice whether legal aid can be made available to you. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I go about getting it can I get the emergency order please
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You need to get a local solicitor in Aberdeen to do this for you. Because of the type of court procedure you will not be able to do this on your own.