How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80439
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was just enquiring how much ot would be to get a bailiff

This answer was rated:

Hi there I was just enquiring how much ot would be to get a bailiff to help me get my stuff back from my ex partner.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Plymouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried the police but there is nothing they can do and my father has tried himself but no luck
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that ot thank you

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What is your situation please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there I have belongings down my ex partner property and I was just wondering how much would it cost to get bailiffs involved ive already gone down the police route of it and they can do anything to help

What sort of things does he have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has mine and my children cloths my xbox tumble dryer washing machine all there Christmas toys and teddy they got for Christmas there toy chests and birth certificate and memorie stuff from when the kids where born and when I was in hospital at a young age

Thank you.

I'm afraid I can't really give you good news and so I can only apologise.

Bailiffs can't act without a court order. That is what a bailiff is. He is the court enforcer.

You do have the option to Sue for the sum of money that these goods are worth and then if he doesn't pay you could instruct a bailiff.

To actually recover those specific items though you will need to get the courts direct that and that will only happen if they are unique. The birth certificate is unique. Some memorabilia can be unique but the clothes and dryer machine are not I'm afraid.

You do have that option open to you though.

I'm very sorry but that is the position I'm afraid. Obviously he is being unreasonable but the limitations on the law allow that sadly.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thats all thank you

No problem.

All the best. I'm very sorry.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you