NewExpertAS4920
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

H. I am in the process of being made redundant and have to

Customer Question

H. I am in the process of being made redundant and have to choose between voluntary and not. My boss is telling me I don’t need a consultation if I take voluntary? I’d this correct. If I don’t take voluntary then obviously I’ll need the consultation and there will need to be a witness from his side to take minutes. Am I in any position to disagree with the person that had been selected? The meeting is to take place over zoom so can be recorded but he is saying it will not count as evidence as it could be tampered with so minutes are the only option. Can I request someone else do it and will he have to comply? Thank you
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: there is no hr department and I am the only other manager other than the one I don’t want taking the minutes
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so Thank you
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there maybe delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, that’s fine
Would you like to discuss this over the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can’t talk right niw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the phone I mean
No problem. Please kindly clarify how many people are being made redundant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5
It is indeed correct that you will not need a consultation of you choose voluntary redundancy. There are no rules about how your employer should carry out the consultation unless there are more than 20 employees being made redundant.
You can indeed question their selection process.
You should not record the meeting without their authority.
I have tried to respond to each of your questions. Please let me know if i can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to clarify, I can question the person they have selected to take minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if there are no rules about redundancy under 20, is there a rule in place saying there needs to be a witness to take minutes from his side?
If you are not happy with the person taking notes, you could ask the employer to use someone else if possible.The note taker is not a witness for the employer. They are there for taking notes of the conversation. Once the meeting is completed you would be asked to review the notes and sign it off approving the notes.
Hi can I assist any further?

Please kindly confirm whether you require any further assistance.