How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewExpertAS4920 Your Own Question
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
NewExpertAS4920 is online now

My fiancee bought a house almost two years ago. Since she

Customer Question

Hi, my fiancee bought a house almost two years ago. Since she bought it we have been renovating it and we have both contributed 50:50 to all bills including mortgage and renovation costs. It was our plan when the current mortgage deal expires ( August 2020) for myself to be added on to it.
Due to the house being in the middle of a renovation a new mortgage deal adding me on would entail a new application and thus valuation being needed but the house would not pass this. The plan now is to extend the current mortgage offer for two years. This deal does not require a new valuation.
What type of contract could be drawn up between ourselves separate to the mortgage, which would legally give myself 50:50 rights to the house?
JA: Has your fiancée talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your fiancée live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Hi, we are both enquiring together now. Once we know a good solution if we both need seperate lawyers etc then we will.
JA: What steps has your fiancée taken so far?
Customer: She lives in England, we both live together at the property in a static caravan while the renovation is happening.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there maybe delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
You both should enter a formal contract which clearly sets out your intentions and plans including the background of the situation and the intentions to add you to the mortgage your share in the property etc.
You both should also instruct separate solicitors to avoid any future disputes or allegations of duress/ undue influence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a specific name for this type of contract? What is the average costs for something like this? what would a solicitor normally charge? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you use an online service for this type of arrangement?
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
There is no particular name for such a contract. You can simply call it "Agreement in relation to [property address]"Charges usually depend on the firm you instruct and the length of the actual agreement. Should you wish you could use templates from online and then ask a solicitor to advice you on the same before signing.
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
Hi can I assist you any further?
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.

Please kindly confirm whether you require any further assistance.