How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

M now single occupant in my present address after my husband

Customer Question

Greetings!m now single occupant in my present address after my husband passedaway last 28 April 2020
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been with my husband since 2004. We got married since 11 July 2011. He had been on ESA for years since 2013 & and PIP. I have been a registered carer for him. He died due to COVID last 28 April 2020. Since then I have been paying for the rent of the house in Neasden Lane, London. Now, I have no idea on what to do or how to deal with paying the council tax considering the amount of One thousand one hundred pounds per month house rental. I am 66 & will be 67 in June. I got no proper job due to the fact that I could not leave my husband for a long time because he is epileptic, asthmatic, with multiple fractures head to toe, and so many underlying conditions that is so complicated to deal with since 2008. I may have jobs but due to lockdown, the employers had to let us stop working due to fear of COVID. Now that my husband left me, I am left on my own in misery. I am not that strong to continue working long hours because of my age & strength. Am left with nothing in the bank. No chance of getting Bereavement Support Allowance due to the fact that I am over state pension age. I haven't had enough contribution for my national Insurance because I was not allowed to work due to long period of looking after him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and I am very sorry to hear of your circumstances.

If you are now the sole occupant of the property you will be entitled to a discount on your council tax of 25%. Because of your low income you may also be entitled to some council tax benefit which will give you a contribution towards paying for your council tax. Each local council will have its own method of applying for the discount. You will need to contact them directly to advise them of your change in circumstances and they should be able to send you the correct forms to complete. You may also be entitled to housing benefit to receive a contribution to your rent as well.

Expert:  Helen Hill replied 1 year ago.

I notice you have not yet viewed my response. Please kindly let me know if you need any further assistance with this matter.