How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74373
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Morning, Barry, I have not taken step yet but i was informed

This answer was rated:

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Barry
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have not taken step yet but i was informed of a malicious gossip or story going round on my name and my picture is also being shown to people I have identified the person spreading my identity via picture
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What case could i pursue

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What are you hoping to achieve, given the circumstances? and do you know the person responsible personally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am seeking legal steps against the responsible person or people.
I was informed that a certain Romanian has been spreading a story claiming that I was his girlfriend and that a person from their workplace has my picture who have shown my picture to another male staff of their workplace, and the person who has my picture were apparently asking if the other male staff knows me by showing my picture. Allegedly the person that was asked knows and identified me on the picture that was shown although apparently he said he does not know me.
I felt bad as a woman and i felt i was abused and maliciously victimised as the story is a lie and I do not know a certain Romanian on their workplace or neither i have no Romanian boyfriend.

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What case i should be pursuing legally and for breaching my human rights perhaps
Breaching myself as a woman
And for maliciously talking about me behind my back that was untrue
And for how I felt about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person who told me confirmed the person who allegedly shown my picture to another person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. There are various options to take it further and whilst there are some complex options like defamation, that is unrealistic in the circumstances. Instead, this conduct could potentially amount to harassment, which can be either a civil or a criminal offence. The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct, which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what harassment is, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.

How this matter is dealt with would depend on whether the victim wants to take it down the civil route or the criminal one, or even both.

If a civil claim is made in the courts, it must be initiated within 6 years of the alleged act(s) of harassment taking place. The court can make an order instructing the harasser to stop their behaviour. If they still do not stop harassing the victim it would become a criminal offence and they can be prosecuted in the criminal courts. It is also possible to seek financial compensation if financial or emotional losses have been suffered (e.g. causing severe anxiety or distress).

If the matter is reported to the police instead and they take it further and prosecute, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.

Before the courts or the police get involved it may be better to try and resolve this directly with the harasser. They should be warned that their actions are being treated as harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and that unless they stop what they are doing they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them. If that does not help, the matter can be taken further either by contacting the police and letting them deal with it as they see fit, or starting civil court action by making a claim for harassment.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Could I ask please
Could I ring the police directly although I have not spoken to the person who showed my picture. I dont know him myself so I am not comfortable to speak with him personally.

Yes you can, there is no requirement at all for you to speak to them directly first.

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
If i have to ring the police and report the incident
What wordings i would say for an effective reporting.
Please give me advise..

Don’t try and make it too complicated – they want to know exactly what happened so keep it simple and to the facts

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you