12826847

I've been visited by the police twice in the last few weeks

Hi. I've been visited by the police twice in the last few weeks because somebody has tried to post drugs to me. I don't know who it is or why they're doing it. I've been told if any more come through then they'll be get a warrant to search my house. Wanting to know if I should seek legal advice as really worried this person will keep sending things.
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: No charges have been filed
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: Leeds, West Yorkshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Ok, have you had any issues with your identity recently?

Or do you know anybody with these connections?

or maybe do your children have undesirable friends?

You are anonymous on here so don't worry about being full and frank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am married but no children. I did stuff when I was a student but I've not been in touch with any contacts for years. I know people who smoke cannabis but I was told these where MDMA pills thay got posted. I've asked around and nobody is coming forward to say they did it. I've had an alert on my Experian account saying my email and password ***** have been sold online but nothing else to suggest identity theft. It was my birthday last week so I thought it might have been a bad joke but I'm really worried I'm going to have the police turn up in the middle of the night to raid my house or something.

Thanks. I just need some time to consider this and compose a response. You don't need to sit online. You will get an email when I respond. There are some options for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather do this via message than a call if that's okay for now. I'm working at the moment so need to keep my phone free.

Yes, no problem. I am just typing up a response.

Thank you for your patience

This is a fairly well known scam in the UK. It has been doing the rounds for a while.

It involves a person sending controlled substances to an entirely innocent person so that they bear all of the risk and the package is to be intercepted. Obviously we don't really know how they do the latter.

In terms of search warrants, that is pretty unlikely if I'm honest. However I understand why you were worried about it as a search is never really a very pleasant experience. For what it is worth, they don't usually entirely decimate the place. If you let them in then they don't breakdown doors and quite often they don't search places properly but I understand that it is embarrassing to have police officers turn up and fairly unpleasant to have them search a property.

There isn't really anyway of making certain that that won't happen but what you can do to try to head it off is to go down to the police station and report that you are concerned about this. They may not be able to take any action at the moment but it puts on record that you have complained that you think your identity is compromised and also it isn't really the behaviour of a guilty person.

You can also write to the HM RC address that border control will have given you saying that this package is nothing to do with you and you do not want it and did not order it.

It is quite unlikely that anything would ever come of this but there are steps you can take to make sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice. That's helpful and useful to have something practical I can do. I haven't been given any HMRC or border control details so can I just look them up online?

Oh you had nothing at all from border control?

It was just a police visit?

If so, just report it to the police and if you get anything from border control take that action.

usually these importers don't keep using your address because it is compromised.

But they may keep using your identity now that it is known to them so report it.