How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18744
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a tricky situation. I live with another person and we

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a tricky situation. I live with another person and we have a joint agreement. I have decided to leave and because of the covid situation the landlord has been nice saying the other one can stay with a reduced price. But she doesn’t want to do a new agreement and she only cross my name on the agreement with the signature and the new amount she should pay. Is it this legal? If yes can I ask them to sign a private agreement where they declare I am out of the flat and I am not liable anymore? Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London - Putney
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no steps so far we are just waiting to be advised
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, they don’t want to realise the deposit and they ask my flatmate to give me the money so she can cover the full amount and get everything at the end. But how can we be sure she will get the money?

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

so no new tenancy contract but with your name crossed through with who's signature?

im not sure what you mean about the deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the landlords don’t want to do a new agreement to my flatmate and they decided to keep the current ones just crossing my name and writing the new rental amount she should pay. On the side they put their signature.
They also don’t want to realise my deposit and they asked my flatmate to pay me back

If the landlord decides to take you to court for non-payment of rent, provided there is no dispute that the landlord did indeed agree to this and make the manuscript amendment on the document, then it would be sufficient for court purposes that the landlord did agree to this.

It is not unusual to make handwritten amendments to documents like this provided the amendment is signed. If the landlord is using a letting agent, just get the letting agent to rubberstamp the document.

You need a copy of the document.

From what you have said, it’s not something I would be unduly worried about. I think it sufficient what you need.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord used the estate agency for renewing the contract. Do I need to let the agency know about it?
And so basically I don’t need to write anything else or it’s better to write a letter where I declare I am leaving and make them sign it? Thank you so much

I would do but I would let them know after the event because they are likely to want a fee for the paperwork which to be honest is not necessary. You don’t mind of the landlord wants to pay a fee but you don’t want to pay one.

I am glad to help. Please don’t forget to use the rating service because it means that I can continue to provide affordable and timely legal advice to people with similar problems.

Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

You may need to login again to use the rating service.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. And would you advise me to write a letter anyway to the landlord saying the date I am leaving and that I don’t own any money to them?

Yes, I would write and tell them, not ask them.

F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you