How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4708
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I've split with my partner after she met someone else

This answer was rated:

Hi, I've split with my partner after she met someone else online. Ive had to move out of our house and buy another property. We have a 3 year old son who we share 50/50 custody. My ex earns double what i earn, even more so now im 80% furloughed. She gets the family allowance as well. Im really struggling on 23k a year whilst she's on 47k plus family allowance. I want to know what my rights are on child support.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet. I've done nothing as yet as i don't know which Avenue to take.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Lancashire. Burnley.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine thanks.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is the share actually 50/50 or does one of you have the child more than the other?

Is there a court order for this arrangement?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's 50/50. In actual hours i do have him more yes. No court order, just an agreement. I log everything though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's 50/50 but in hours i do have him more yes. No court order, it's just an agreement. I log everything though.

If you have him for more time than she does, you might be able to claim child maintenance from her. See the CMS calculator here for further information and how to make a claim:

You may also be able to ask for the child benefit to be paid over to you instead of to her - you should discuss this with her, but if you can't agree then you could put in a claim and let the agency decide:

You may also be entitled to some universal credit or other type of benefits - see here to find out:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's asking for a payment of £43.68 but the offer was £5 then £40 a month. Is this a scam?

Firstly, I have no control over the finances of the site.

Secondly, the site pop up to offer a call is automated and again I have no control over that. I am not, in any case, available to call you.

Thirdly, I have given you a full answer to your query above. So no, it's not a scam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me then please.

I have given you a full response already. You do not need a call. If you havr been charged, customer services will refund you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me then please so i can discuss my options.

In actual fact, the system is showing that your payment for a call failed - so you have not been charged.

All the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been charged the £5 offer fee. My bank has just rang and told me that. I have a 7 day trial for £5 so could you please honour that.

The finances of the site are a matter for the site - I am just one of the experts.

If you have signed up for a trial, that is what you will have.

It just occurred to me that you might believe that the phone call is part of your trial. It's not - the phone calls are an additional fee.

Your payment failed, so you have not been charged for a phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok. That wasn't explained to me.

No problem.

I gave you a full answer online anyway - hopefully it was helpful.

All the best.

SASH_Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you