How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5167
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Thanks. I had written an agreement with a person for the

This answer was rated:

Thanks. I had written an agreement with a person for the keeping and storage of my goods.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have recently discovered that he has given me a false name, doesn't give me his full address and he has thrown away the majority of my belongings. Besides he wont give me his full address and doesn't answer my requests of his disponibility to re enter in possetion of it. He is in London, I'm momentarily in Italy
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have messaged him many times but he doesn't answer. He has always been paid regularly
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What should I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help. You may send your answer also to my e mail address:***@******.***

Hello I may assist you today

sorry to hear what has happened.

If he has given you false details and information and you have paid him, then this could be fraud.

Also taking or disposing of your property could be theft.

You should in the first instance report this to the police.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I am momentarily in Italy and I can't go to the English police. I need to take immediate action to prevent him disposing of my belongings . What should I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to call you or are you calling me. My mobile number is ***** anyway. Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I be called back later or tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to talk on the phone

Hello I have called phone answered then hung up.

shall I try again I would you like to continue here.

From the information you have given, it appears as if you could be the subject of fraud.

A false name, no contact answered etc.

The correct course of action would be to contact the local police and report the matter. There really is very little else that can be done.

If the other person has sold or throw. Away your items that could be theft and criminal damage. If they have taken money from you for no service that could be fraud.

All of this is criminal law matters and should be reported to the police.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer.
I have also answered your call but I have waited 1 hour on the phone. After that I've hung up but then the line was immediately cut..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant that after having called you back the line was cut..

I have written everything you should do, I cannot give any further advice, that is what you should do, and let the police investigate. The person may even be known to them if he make a habit of this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that I am in Italy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you had given me this advise in your first answer.
If you had written to me that there is not much I can do, as you are writing only now, I would have saved the money of the phone consultation..

I am sorry you feel that way, but the same advice would have been given even if you were in the U.K., You have possibly the victim of crime, your location does not matter, you can still complain to police. Really not sure what else you think anyone one else can do. You can contact by phone the local Met police station for the area and report it there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. Actually there were other questions I wanted to talk about . We haven't stipulated a proper agreement, or I'm nor sure we have.
I have written the guy an e mail using what I thought was his real name.
In the e mail there was specified that he would have kept my belongings.
Then there are agreements on what's up.
Have they legal validity?

For there to be a contract certain criteria must be fulfilled.

It is always better to have a signed contract, verbal are legally binding but far harder to prove.

For a contract, there must be offer and acceptance between each party. There must be consideration in this case money being paid. Both parties must have capacity to make the agreement and finally intention to create a contract.

It could be argued the final matter hear fails because he has given you a false name and most probably had no intention to have a contract. Therefore taking your money and goods under false representation. This would be fraud and again reportable to the police.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks