How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7587
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My dad is in a care home is it right he has to pay as he has

Customer Question

My dad is in a care home is it right he has to pay as he has a bit more than 23.000 savings
JA: Where is your father? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bramshall Staffordshire
JA: What steps has your father taken so far?
Customer: It all happened so quick been there since 20 March 650 a week my brother told by social service's he had to pay
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our mum ended up in hospital that day home now but no way dad could go home he has Parkinson's and needs 24 hour care thats why mum got ill
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon

Your father will be expected to contribute to the care home based on his savings.

The upper limit is £23,500.00 savings are then taken into account until they reduce minimum of £14,500 after which they are disregarded. Any income that he has is also taken into account

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise please either click to accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will he have to go down to 14.500 or be able to claim at the 23.500 also he can't move any savings to mum as is there a year limit if you no what I mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't pay sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just after free advice from citizens advice is this the citizens website etc.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.


We do no need a telephone call, the system automatically asks you if you would like one.

Your Dad can pay debts or give small amounts as gifts but any large amount given away would be regarded as deprivation of assets and the council can simply ignore the gift and treat the money given away as still being his.