How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74495
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

On 21.3.2020 i bought a used car on a car loan which i payed

This answer was rated:

hello my name is***** 21.3.2020 i bought a used car on a car loan which i payed a deposit and every month direct debit.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: i had a problems with the car and gave to the dealer to repair it as it still warranty ,and they repaired it ,in next 2 weeks my car broke down for the same problem i had first time. so what should i do now
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i had contacted my loan finances to open a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: when i bought the car i paid for 2 year extra warranty with auto group. So any repairs i can claim it .today my car was at a peugeot garage and they have done all the checks on the car to find the problem . The problem is the alternator . i wanted to claim from the auto group and they said that the money for alternator was already claimed on my policy

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long after buying the car did it first present you with an issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 weeks after

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person buys a second-hand vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer law, specifically the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which requires goods sold by a business seller to be:

· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when received

· as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase

· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for

If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer will have certain legal remedies against the seller. Also note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods. Also note that the seller is the finance provider rather than the dealer.

The rights against the seller are:

1. Reject the vehicle and request a refund - this must be done within 30 days of purchase or delivery.

2. Repair or replacement – this can be done within the initial 30 days or after, if that deadline has passed and a rejection is no longer possible. If a repair is not possible or has failed, the vehicle can still be rejected for a refund, or if the consumer wants to keep it, they can ask for a price reduction. If asking for a refund or a replacement, the current value of the vehicle will be used, taking into account any depreciation in value for usage by the buyer since purchase.

It is also important to note that the law assumes that any issued which develop within the first 6 months of buying the car were present at the time of purchase, unless the seller can prove otherwise. If they develop more than 6 months after purchase, it is for the buyer to prove that they were there at the time of sale.

Based on which option you are wishing to exercise, you must contact the seller and advise them. If they refuse to discharge their legal obligations under consumer laws, you should remind them of these as per the details above. If they still appear reluctant to assist, write to them one final time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to honour your legal rights, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my car is faulty now ,i need to repair it the cost of the repair is 1800£ ! I bought the car for 5000£ .If i proceed with the return of the vehicle because i don't want the vehicle any more because it was probably faulty when i bought it even if I didn't find out till 1 month later which the problems started to accrue! So how much £ of the value of the faulty vehicle at the moment will be 5000£ how much i paid for it or the price of a faulty vehicle?

You would be seeking a refund for the £5,000, less any depreciation in value due to you owning it, such as extra mileage.

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you

All the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

No worries

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you