How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask marcusmalin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2726
Type Your Law Question Here...
marcusmalin is online now

I have a parental responsibility question. My ex partner has

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl, I have a parental responsibility question. My ex partner has filed a Children Act matter with the court for contact. He has not seen my daughter, Macy for 7 years. During this 7 years Macy has been raised by my partner, Nic, we live as a family with her little brother also, and Macy sees him as her father. It has been most upsetting that Nic is not able to be present in dispute resolution for Macy, and we were wondering what our options may be to allow him to be a part of proceedings, since he plays such an important part in Macy's upbringing.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: We have not, the petitioner, Macy's biological father has filed for dispute resolution and we have had one hearing during which a DNA test was ordered.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: The Court was Blackwood, but we are dealing with Newport Family Court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our next hearing is 26th June in Newport Family Court

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marcus,I was wondering if myself and my partner were to get married. Would my partner have sufficient parental responsibility over my daughter, to enable him to be present for court proceedings relating to her potential contact with her biological parent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or are there any other options available to us that may allow him to be present for proceedings?

Hello, i am sorry for the delay in responding.

If you get married it would enable Nic to apply for Parental Responsibility as a step parent.

This this then in effect enable him to become a party to the proceedings as he would have an application that would be consolidated.

Your matter is one of the hardest to be dealt with as the court do promote contact between a Macy and a biological parent but only if in the child’s best interests.

However I have as is often a case inconsistency within the Family Court in how matters are dealt with. I have known courts be pretty tough and allow a previously absent father contact with little question while other courts have dealt with i such matter with more sensitivity.

For now there is little Nic can do but if married he could apply for Parental Responsibility as a step parent.

Although he is not technically involved in the proceedings the next step once the DNA has been dealt with will be a Section 7 report where a CAFCASS prepares a full report during which they are likely to speak to Nic so he will be involved indirectly.

Thank you.

Hello, I am just making sure that you safely received my reply.

Thank you.

Hello, I would be most grateful if you could kindly rate my answer to enable me to get credit for it.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.


marcusmalin and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you