Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
107933507

When am I the official owner of an inherited property, after

Customer Question

When am I the official owner of an inherited property, after going through probate and paying taxes on all assets that include the house, or when the property is legally transferred to my name?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: England
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Transfer documents
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am in the process of buying my first home. I have been advised that if you inherit a property and the interest is less than 50% (I inherited 15%), and you purchase a property within 3 years, you are not subject to the higher stamp duty rate. I need to know when I was legally the owner as that changes when the '3 year clock' so to speak, began.
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify if you have already transferred the property into your name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father died without a Will in November 2016, and we completed the probate and paid the inheritance tax in May 2017. However the inherited property was not officially transferred in my name until May 2019. So I do not know when the 3 years starts from, from the probate or when my name was put on the property.
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 1 year ago.

In which case you became a legal owner in May 2019. Hope this helps?

Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help with otherwise I would appreciate if you could accept my answer. Many thanks