Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Ben, sorry it's been so. I would like to continue our old

Hi Ben, sorry it's been so long. I would like to continue our old convesation, but the respond box is not longer visible. I guess this is because we haven't spoke since 05/11/219 (08.39). My opening question to you was "We sell bespoke rugs, but do we need something in our terms for 'off-the-shelf' products?" on the 04/11/2019 (01.38) - please let me know if and how we can continue.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. What would you like to ask about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben, do you have access to the old question so we can continue, or shall I pop them on here?

No that's fine. I can access the previous thread. Please tell me how I can assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it would be useful to know what the best way forward is and whether we can still use elements of the terms and conditions we use on the www.rugcouture.com website? These new products we're selling are visible on design.rugcouture.com

OK leave it with me for now and I will get back to you in a while. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you. If we struggle to resolve this via these messages I'm happy to give you a call early next week.

Hi again, so just to be clear what do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We want it so any rug on the ‘design.rugcouture.com’ section of our website are classed as bespoke / customisable so that we're not at liberty to offer refunds just if a customer decides they don't like the rug for instance - basically we want it to work in the same was as with our most popular offering (hand-tufted rugs) https://www.rugcouture.com/hand-tufted-rugs/ ... the rugs inside the ‘design.rugcouture.com’ are just so expensive to produce we don't want to be at risk of a refund. Is there a way to funnel our customers through a particular route during the buying process to achieve this?

Thank you. It’s not always going to be guaranteed because it may always be subject to challenge. Ideally, you want to let the customer to decide on the size if that is possible. For example you can say you can make any size up to X by Y and it is then up to the customer to define what size they want. Assuming you can do that, it will make it a genuine custom-made item which they cannot just return if they change their mind

However have a look at what another retailer has done, which may also fit with your products:

https://www.reallywellmade.co.uk/pages/terms-and-conditions

Having a clear policy, even if not necessarily one that may have 100% guarantee of success if challenged, could be enough to put people off from claiming and challenging it legally. After all, if you can avoid 10 refunds for each one you have to give to a customer who does not take ‘no’ for an answer, whilst still likely being able to sell that item later on, it is still going to be worth it.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is perfect, and yes it answers my question. Thank you Ben

You are most welcome