Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have had a charge put on my property with the land

Customer Question

Hi there , I have had a charge put on my property with the land resistry by a commercial loan company where i did not go through with the loan . Am I entitled to be compensated for this ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No . I have just telephoned them to point out the error
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Its my hotel that is located in Torquay, Devon
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats everything
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, you are entitled to be compensated for this commercial loan company putting a charge on your property when you did not go ahead with the loan. Basically, it is the civil wrong or tort known as slander of title. Additionally, you can seek damages for breach of any putative loan agreement you did not enter into. However, your primary cause of action is for slander of title. So, I would advise you to see a solicitor who is experienced in litigation in your local area and get the solicitor to issue legal proceedings if you don't receive an offer of compensation from the loan company. Essentially, you are entitled to compensation for the act of the loan company in publishing to the world that your hotel was indebted to them, when it wasn't. Any consequential losses are compensate-able as well.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or accept the answer using the buttons at the top of the screen as otherwise your Expert remains unpaid by the website despite answering your question.