RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Would I be entitle to paid maternity leave if I fall

Hi, would I be entitle to paid maternity leave if I fall pregnant during my contract role?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, i have been asked if I like to extend my contract
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Contractor
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been asked if I would like to get permanent role or extent my contract. I am not pregnant yet however we are planning family and I am not sure what to pick to secure our future when we get pregnant. Thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

You may have difficulty if you have a contract which has a time limit on it. So if you have been offered full time work as a permanent employee then you will be entitled to all of the maternity payments you would receive under any other employment. Does that answer your question ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question. Can I be fired from permanent job if I am already pregnant? Want to cover all worst scenarios

Absolutely not! If you are dismissed due to pregnancy then you will have a very strong case for discrimination and be able to take action against them. Being pregnant is what is called a "protected characteristic" under the Equality Act 2010 and provides you with very strong legal protection from any detriments from your employer. Should anything like that happen then contact a lawyer and they will make an application to the Employment Tribunal for discrimination for you.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just to clarify. I didn’t mean to be fired/redundant because I am pregnant. I meant if work decide to let me go but I find out I am pregnant. Can they still let me go? Or as soon women is pregnant she is protected by law For whole pregnancy and maternity leave period? As well is entitle for maternity pay and for role on her return after maternity?

So if you tell them you are pregnant then they can still let you go however, they will have to be sure that it is not related to your pregnancy, if they have factored this in then you can sue them for discrimination, however, if they have a genuine economic reason for letting you go (which has nothing to do with you being pregnant) then they can legally let you go. Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think yes. If I have been fired automatically I would lose entitlement for paid maternity leave? What is women entitle to if she has a baby and she is unemployed? Married and husband is working.

As long as they have a legitimate reason for dismissing you or making you redundant the employer would not be due to pay you any maternity pay. However, you can get a government maternity pay you can simply make an application online for this. The link for it is; https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/pay

I hope this information has helped.

Many Thanks

Ross

Many Thanks

Ross