12826847

My husband is serving 9yrs in prison we are not divorced yet

my husband is serving 9yrs in prison we are not divorced yet he signed over the property and any money to myself.A company call marston holdings ltd are asking for£25000 for legal aid am i liable
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: uk my lawyer set up a contract which my husband signed as i had to sell our large family home that the nrew property belonged to me and any monies left over
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have tried to contact marston holdings as my husband has given me incorrect ref no and iam unable to contact him we are on amicable terms for now but i really do not want to have contact with him

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

I'm just reading above.

Do yo uknow if there was a costs order?

Sorry, ignore what I have said above. I see what has happened here. He failed to get legal aid I think and had to pay contributions. They are chasing those contributions. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

You are not liable. There is no doubt over that. The issue though is that the property at least at the time of this incident was jointly owned by him and the LAA may well say that he deliberately divested himself of control. That is not to say they would win on that basis. But that is probably their argument.

It is fairly rare though that they repossess residential homes the Housewives who weren't involved in the offence though.

Sorry if that is bad news is I know this is very draconian.

I also know that marston's can be very vigorous and unreasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer. I'm so sorry.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dare i just ignore this or would it save me more trauma just to pay it onbehalf of my husband

It is probably not a good idea to ignore it certainly.

Can you contact the LAA though to get to the bottom of this?

Also, contact your husband's solicitors to ask them in put.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

No problem.

I am sorry as this is an awful situation.