UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have signed a document with a loss assessor to deal with

I have signed a document with a loss assessor to deal with an insurance claim. I have decided to retrieve from my contract after 9 days, with a phone call only . But the assessor still believe that I am legally binding to him and he is asking for money. What can I do ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: no , not yet. I am based in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just called by phone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, really what to know my right

Please upload a copy of the contract you signed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their document where followed by this sentence by email (see below).I called them the 7th of May saying that I was contacted by another assessor and I will prefer to wait before carry on with them .
Unfortunately I did not write any letter at that time , but they recognised that I gave them a call (that they apparently recorded) .Many thanksDear Fabrizio,
It was good to speak with you earlier, thanks for returning the documents to me. Would it be possible to also post hard copies physically signed by you, marked for my attention to our office address detailed below.
Please note, you are entitled to cancel our appointment for any reason within 14 days. Following the receipt of the above we will contact your insurers to progress your claim

Their terms do not include a 14 days cooling off period, but they clearly state this is applicable in their email.

It does not state anywhere that you can only cancel in writing, if you called them within 14 days, then the cancellation should apply.

However, if they have successfully made a claim for you, they may be entitled to a commission on the principle of quantum meruit.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . Would you suggest to write back an email, like :Dear Jeremy ,
Following our phone call conversation ,I believe that I should not have 2 assessors dealing with the same policy otherwise it would be detrimental for my claim.
As we discussed please accept my phone call, given the 7th of May, that you duly recorded as a cancelation of our contract signed the 27th of April.Kind regards, *****Would you suggest to write something different or in a different way?
Many thanksFabrizio

Yes, you may go ahead with that email.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars