RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I have struggled to get rent paid from my property agent for

Customer Question

Hi, I have struggled to get rent paid from my property agent for months now. They have just gone bust and I have no way to contact them anymore. The house is rented out through them to a housing association but there is no authorisation in place from me to allow that or any contract signed by me. The housing association say they are not allowed to pay the rent directly to me therefore I need the tenants out of the property as soon as possible. How do I do this please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The house is in Middlesbrough
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed the housing association to ask them if they will pay the rent to me but they said no. I have now told them that the agent has gone bust but I have had no reply from them yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is everything thank you very much
Expert:  RJM Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 1 year ago.

I have read through your information. Rather than evicting the tenants I would look at instructing another agency and ask them to recover the sums that are due, if the tenant has been paying these. However, if you want to evict the tenants then you have the right to do this. However, it is important to note that the courts are not allowing any evictions to be heard until the 25 June this year so you will not be able to take any action at the moment I am afraid, and I would suspect that even once the courts are open there is going to be some extreme delay in getting round to new cases are there will be thousands of back logged cases. You can, of course, wait and do this or as I have suggested you can also look at instructing a different agency to try and retrieve the sums which the housing association have not yet paid (and are refusing) to pay to you.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Expert:  RJM Law replied 1 year ago.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Many Thanks

Ross

Expert:  RJM Law replied 1 year ago.

Many Thanks

Ross