How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4642
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Help, helo, I would like to get advice regarding the

Customer Question

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: helo, I would like to get advice regarding the divorce
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve started my divorce application online ( government website)
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: me and my partner are leaving separate for 1 year and 3 months. I would like to use for our divorce 2 years separation as before we moved out we have been living the same house but separate rooms. Is it enough to complete the application ?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I think we got married in Barnet Court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are both agree with the divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Were you separated for two years? As in living completely separate lives - not sharing bills, a bed, food, laundry etc?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve moved out 1 year and 3 months ago. Before we shared only bills as the house was on our both names. We didn’t share the same bed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don’t want phone call
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

If you can show (prove) that you have lived separately (even if in the same house for some of the time) and your husband agrees with the ground for divorce - it is two years separation with consent from both parties - then you are free to apply using that ground.

If you cannot prove you were living separately, you'll either have to wait until two years is up from when you moved out, or use another ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we use that reason for the divorce ?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

If you want to - but you have to prove to the court that you have lived separate lives for two years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I prove that we were living separate but in the same house ?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

That is a matter for you to prove - I don't know what your circumstances were or what happened so cannot give guidance on that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is other ground I can use ? We both just want divorce and we will agree with anything
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

You can use unreasonable behaviour.

Kindly rate positively. Thank you.