INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My story is this. I had a home rental contract with an

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, this is Klodi. My story is this. I had a home rental contract with an agency in London. My contract expired 31/03/2020. Before the contract expired, the agency offered to stay longer if I wanted to. I accepted their proposal. But I haven't signed a new contract for the new period. I stayed in the same apartment for 5/30/2020. A week before 30/05/2020 I advised the agency that I left the apartment and went away for personal reasons. Now the agency asks me to pay another month because I notified late. Above all they don't give me the deposit I have inside and they want another month to be paid.
In my opinion, as long as the contract had expired, it no longer makes sense to pay the month in advance. Above all, they also want to keep the deposit. Do you think they are right?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: It is explained above.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else. Thank you
Expert:  INC Law replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for your query. What kindnof agreement do you have, is it an assured shorthold tenancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's ASSURED SHORTHOLD TENANCY AGREEMENT.
Expert:  INC Law replied 1 year ago.

If it is an assured shorthold tenancy, you would be liable at least for one months rent, in full.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

May thanks,