F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I bought a Range Rover Evoque on the 12th April 2019 after

Hi thereI bought a Range Rover Evoque on the 12th April 2019 after conducting a HPI check via gumtree through HPI check.everything matched and there appeared to be no issues with the car.yesterday, the police came and seized the vehicle stating that it had been stolen.therefore we need to make a claim as HPI states it's covered.what are the next steps please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: CO155TT
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've contacted the HPI company
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the police say the car is stolen because there are 3 dots on the back window, which indicate a 2011 model. our model is 2013.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this all came about because an MOT service station revealed the registration plate had been MOT'd 2 days previously. however, our plate is private, so the other car must be cloned.
the police took the car based on 3 dots on the back window, it feels like a very scarce amount of evidence to seize a car that a vulnerable isolated old lady requires in order to get medical assistance and help in these times.
when I suggested contacting the seller, the policeman said not yet as I didn't have enough evidence that it was stolen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

was this car bought from a private seller?

if not was it a dealer?

how was it paid for - cash or debit or credit card?

how much was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
private seller at their address (same as on the V5)
paid for with BACS from first direct bank account
£14,000.00

Thank you. You know need to get a claim form from HPI.

Complete it and return it to them. They deal with everything else.

What else is it that you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fair enough. I'll come bacK IF I HAVE ISSUES

No problem. .

I am glad to help. Please don’t forget to use the rating service because it means that I can continue to provide affordable and timely legal advice to people with similar problems.

Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

You may need to login again to use the rating service.