NewExpertAS4920
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

I thiught the question would have been transferred. I'm

Customer Question

I thiught the question would have been transferred. I'm being made redundant and I receive my official letter soon. This letter gives me 7 weeks from the date of closure to apply for another position if available or take severance pay. If I take the severance pay can I leave immediately within my 7 weeks or can they make me work until the very end?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: during first meeting which is required prior to official letter a meeting was held with HR Manager. At that time she mentioned if I decide to take the severance I would leave or outprocess that day. Now, it appears my supervisor wants me there only to handle equipment turn-in until very last day the office closes. So, shes now telling me I misunderstood HRManager. I need to know once I give my decision, after myt
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: my official letter is given and my decision to accept severance, can they make me stay until the very end?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: basically do I receive time to look for another job once I decide to take severance organ they make me work until the end
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.
Unless your employer agrees otherwise, they can require you to work your notice period.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is my 7 weeks notice prior to office closure...right or until the office actually closes?

This will be 7 weeks from the decision to end your employment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the office will close 31 July my time calculated by the years I worked with the company wil give me 7 weeks which means I can leave on 12 June...correct?

Please explain what you mean the office will close? Please also clarify from which date have you calculated the 7 weeks.

Are you there?