How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74476
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Here,i have an on going situation with an x lady friend,we

Customer Question

hello ***** ***** here,i have an on going situation with an x lady friend,we split up about 7weeks ago and she will not let me have my belongings back,the Canock police were involved but it is still not settled,my belongins total about £560,can you please help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kidderminster in the west midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I owe her £300 wich I offered to pay in exchange for my gear,the wpc arranged a date so we could do this but the lady has blocked all communication,the police will not take it further because it is a civil case and I cannot afford to go to court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: all of this is not my fault,i have not be nasty at all,i just want my belongings back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Have you made a formal request in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello ben,no not in writing its all been via email and phone
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. There are a few options but you have to bear in mind that you cannot physically force her to return your property and if needed, you will have to just pursue her for compensation for the value of items she still has.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you