How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74476
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I would like to know what i have to do to be a self

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I would like to know what i have to do to be a self employed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ingleton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I work as a Healthcare Assistant to a agency. I have a contract. But i have a job offer to be a private one
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im portuguese, legally here

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

So who has offered you the job on this basis? Is it the client that you are currently providing healthcare for? Please explain the situation in some more detail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a lady i know and she need help at home. So i will be living with her and provide the care she need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want to work, she pay me and i do my own discountd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you reply, helping me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i have to pay for a phone call, and that is the only way to get an answer, tell me

No problem re the phone call. Can I just clarify that you do not and have not previously worked for this lady via the agency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If you wanted to work as a self-employed worker you can do so via a limited company, which you set up for yourself, or as a sole trader.

It does not matter legally which option you choose and the main issue will be with taxes and which way is more favourable from a tax perspective.

If you want to work as a sole trader you need to register yourself:

In any event you also have to register for self assessment for your taxes:

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to see the links, and see if i have more questions

Ok no worries

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you