Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been trying to get a mobile phone contract from Tesco

Customer Question

I have been trying to get a mobile phone contract from Tesco and when they put in my postcode the credit ref agency comes up with a different address to where I live. I have contacted the credit ref agency my self to advice the error. In the past the occupiers of this other address have had there energy supplier changed because of this problem . I have lived at this address for 18+ years.
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: The Problem has occurred over several years but I have not before been able to find which credit agency is responsible. The energy supply incident was about 12 months ago. My problem with getting phone has been since 5 May 2020
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been into Tesco at least 6 times they have tried to assist by contacting the agency themselves and also my contacted their head office. I have phoned The agency twice the first time I was told it had been sorted but they would raise it as an issue and I would hear from the. Went back to Tesco twice in following week still not sorted. We’d 3 May I ohoned agency again and they advised it is noted but I shall have to wait till they change things. They blamed gov. electoral roll, but I have contacted them and their address they have is correct. and am told they have raised it as an issue put
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I get this problem resolved. So when my postcode is entered the correct address is provided.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I am not with you, are you saying that Tesco have it wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My postcode is MK455AF and the credit ref agency gives address as*****which is wrong.
It should be 1 Bewley Close. The Royal Mail website shows it as 1 Bewley Close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, when they contact Aquafax the credit reference agency they use for checks they are told my postcode relates to*****which it should not.*****postcode is MK455JA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have I explained it better now, so you understand my problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tesco have to apply to a credit ref Agency before accepting people for a mobile phone contract. To do this they ask customers for postcode. I give them my postcode which they pass on to credit reference agency. Credit ref agency then go back to Tesco saying MK455AF is*****
This is wrong. MK455AF is 1 Bewley Close. With the wrong address I cannot have the mobile phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for a response please
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes I get that. So the credit reference agency have it wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do have it wrong and they seemed unconcerned about putting it right.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Have you written to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have phoned them twice
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You should write and make a formal complaint.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold it you can then go to the Financial Ombudsman.
They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
That should resolve it for you

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.