How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I invited a girlfriend (she) to move into my home (I own a

This answer was rated:

I invited a girlfriend (she) to move into my home (I own a leasehold on a maisonette). The arrangement has gone sour. She resists moving out, and avoids discussion on the subject. Nonetheless, when she becomes angry she tells me that some new lights - which she bought even before she moved in, and for which I subsequently reimbursed her, are hers and that she will take them. I tell her that since they have been installed, and since I have reimbursed her, they are no longer her property. I should add that, prior to installing the wall lights in the set, we repapered the wall, and I drilled new holes in the wall to fit those new lights.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I told her that I have reimbursed her and that the lights are now part of the property. She refuses to accept this.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She also says that, if she leaves, she will destroy anything which she cannot take.

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

If your relationship with your Gf has gone sour and she is resisting moving out and threatening to smash things before leaving, then you can apply for occupational orders for the house.

An occupation order is a court order which specifies who is and who is not able to live in the family home and/or who can enter the surrounding area. An occupation order can also be used to gain the right to return to the home

You will need to show some sort of connection to the property that you want to be included in the occupation order.

Courts can consider factors such as the housing needs of those involved in the order (and any children involved) and the behaviour of the applicant and the respondent.

The impact upon the health (both mental and physical) of those involved, can also be considered

For further information regarding the occupation order, please click following-

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice so far.
What I actually want you to advise me is whether I am correct in stating that the newly installed lighting is now part of my property?

If the property belongs to you and (even though the lights have been purchased by your Gf) you have reimbursed your GF for the cost of those installed lights. These lights now belong to you and part of the property. Your Gf can not take them off when leaving the property.

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time.

Thank you

Vineet S and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you