How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

My daughter's name is on the deeds. They are not married,

This answer was rated:

My daughter's name is ***** ***** deeds. They are not married, but are separating and have sold the house. How much is she entitled to by law?X
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No. Not married
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Bedford
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just an answer to our first question

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your daughter's situation.

In the absence of any documentation that states otherwise it will be assumed to be a 50 / 50 division of the equity if they are unmarried. Documentation that would defeat this assumption of equal shares would be a Declaration of Trust over the property or evidence of a higher contribution to the purchase which would then imply a constructive trust in her favour.

I hope this is useful, do you have any other questions I can help with?

Helen Hill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this. No Declaration of trust but he did put more in

If he has evidence of that he may be able to claim a larger share of the equity equal to the amount put in, so you might need to be prepared to move slightly from the position of equal shares.

Thank you for your rating, it is much appreciated.