How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14359
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have had cosmetic surgery and the practitioner had sent

This answer was rated:

I have had cosmetic surgery and the practitioner had sent photos to a third party and has put a training video that I participated in onto social media without my permission
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sheffield United kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have instructed her to take it off social media .. she says it has been on months .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She had my salon as a tenant and moved out . She took the name of my salon with her and I said I hope you know that there will be 2 business in the same area under the same name .

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You would sue for breach of data protection and you could also obtain an injunction to force them to remove the video.

First, send them a cease and desist letter to warn them of your intentions unless they stop (and give them 7 days to stop their conduct). A template “cease and desist” letter is available at

If you go to the search box in the top right corner of the site, it will bring up a list - you want the "general" letter.

You can use your own letter if you wish - it just has to make it clear this is a cease and desist letter, that you demand they stop their conduct, and that if they do not within 7 days you will apply to the court for the injunction and seek your costs.

That letter may well be enough to stop the conduct - as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

If your data is being used without your consent, this is in breach of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Note that this is EU law but it still applies in the UK until the end of December this year (during the Brexit transition period). A revision of the law (“UK GDPR”) will come in to effect in January 2021 but for the present purposes, it applies as normal in the UK.

GDPR protects data subjects and if you do not consent, anyone who hands out your data can be held in breach of GDPR. What this means is that the Information Commissioner's Office (the "ICO") can fine companies heavily if they find there has been a breach. The fines are either up to £17m or 4% of company turnover, whichever is greater. As such, I would recommend that you inform the ICO on 0303(###) ###-#### They will take your details and if they feel there has been a data breach will contact the company and possibly fine them. A lot of companies do not realise the extent of the fines and it is envisaged a lot of businesses will go bust in the event of a breach, not just because of the fines but because the aggrieved party can also claim compensation.

If the ICO tells you there has been a GDPR breach then it makes it much easier to claim compensation (under Article 77 of GDPR) - the amount of which varies and depends on the severity of the breach and the impact it has had upon the aggrieved party. The new data protection law is very new so unfortunately not many cases have been tried in court, so there is not a precedent for compensation levels (yet). As a very rough guide you would be looking at anything between £1,000 and £10,000 (the latter being for a serious breach which has adversely affected you).

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

My pleasure have a good day

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you