SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My flat was burgled in January, with a camera and lesnes

Customer Question

my flat was burgled in January, with a camera and lesnes stolen. The police closed the case after just a couple of days as there was no way to ascertain who had broken in. Two weeks later I found some of my lenses for sale on the site of a photographic store in London. I emailed the store informing them of the stolen goods but they refused to talk to me and took the listings down their site. It took over a month to get the police to come down there, we recovered two of my lenses but they claimed not to have two others and that they'd sold the most valuable one to Malaysai. The police asked her to make sure it was sent back and get in touch again then - owner then said she'd be away for three weeks. A month later she had informed the police that the lens shipped to Malaysia was back, as well as one of the lenses she said she didn't have. I came to the shop again with an officer, and we were given one of the lenses but the most valuable lens she refused to show us as she claimed I couldn't prove it was mine. That's despite my having serial number and photos of the lens in my posession. But the officer was unfamiliar with the case and said she needed to reveiw it first before taking any further action. Having reviewed my evidence she agreed to return to the shop for the final lens. Then the pandemic started and the officer informed me there was no time for her to focus on this and that I should contact a solicitor instead.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted the police multiple times and visited the store with police officers
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know what is the best course of action to take now to recover my stolen goods?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Since this has turned into a contractual issue not a criminal one, I think I had had best opt out and pass you onto somebody else who can help.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience, You should send them a letter before action giving them 14 days to return the lens and the camera or alternative to pay you the value of the goods. If they ignore your notice then you can make your claim using Claim Form N1, attach your particulars of claim and evidence of your ownership and the police reports and hopefully you did take screenshots og the goods on the shop's website as you can include these too. You will need to download Form X50 to check the fee payable when you file your claim. If you are on low income and cannot afford the fee you may submit form x160 for the fee waiver at the same time as filing the claim. All the best