Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am trying to Find out of i am eligible for the retention

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i am trying to Find out of i am eligible for the retention scheme as my employer is saying I am not
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I discussed this with the hr but I am not happy with what they say the situation is they paid me 80 % the first month then they informed me they r paying from their pocket and asked me to work from home claiming I am not eligible for the grant
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I started my job on the 2nd of march

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

2nd March 2020?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ben
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. The official rules of the furlough scheme say the following:

Any employer with a UK payroll and a UK bank account will be able to claim, but you must have been employed on 19 March 2020 and on your employer’s PAYE payroll on or before 19 March 2020. This means your employer must have made a Real Time Information (RTI) submission notifying payment in respect of you to HMRC on or before 19 March 2020.

What this means is that you could have been employed before 19 March, as in your case, but if the employer had not sent an RTI submission to HMRC before that date, you would not be eligible. The RTI is usually sent just before you are paid so if you did not get paid until the end of the month, you may find that the RTI was only sent after 19 March, making you ineligible for the scheme.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer My employer is saying that they send the RTI on the 20th March but I don’t know if they are saying the true or not As I don’t have any payslips from them.

You can contact HMRC to check, they would know