How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2837
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

Can I file a UK small claim against a UK company from

This answer was rated:

Can I file a UK small claim against a UK company from outside the UK, me being not a UK resident or national?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Switzerland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

You will need a postal address within the UK for the service the notice of court proceedings, for starting court proceedings in the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it have to be my address or can I have someone represent me?

However, you can initiate European payment order claim from EU-

The European Payment Order is a simplified procedure for cross-border monetary claims which are uncontested by the defendant, based on standard forms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that - however, Switzerland is not a EU member.
Can I be represented by a UK citizen for the process?

For initiating claim here, you can give POA to represent you in the claim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
POA ???

Power of Attorney.

You can get in touch with the law firm/solicitor who can represent you in the claim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a lawyer/solicitor is needed, there is no way I might ask an acquaintance to act on my behalf?
What would the fees involved be handing the matter to a UK solicitor? Rough estimate will do just fine, thanks.

Fees can vary from firm to firm. It would depend on the amount you looking to recover as well.

Or you can sell your debt to some debt recovery company in the UK, who would pursue the claim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a private/personal representation will not suffice?

There are various websites to assist in cases like yours- see the below-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for now, I see it is going to be a bit complicated.
Have a nice weekend, thank you


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time

Thank you and all the best.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you