Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

This is a very embarrassing subject but I just want to see

Hello this is a very embarrassing subject but I just want to see if there is anything I can do about it over 10 years I met a guy and slept with him twice and that was it he then decided to tell friends and associates of my that I gave him an sti this is a complete lie and I’m having to walk round very embarrassed and is causing me emotional de stress is there anything I can do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stourbridge West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Non someone told me last Friday he had said it to them and a load of other people and it’s brought it all to the surface again
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Do you have a contact address for this person? and what are you ideally hoping to do in the circumstances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compensation would be good but would really just like him to stop telling lies about me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He owns a bar I can get the address for that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a £5 trial because it’s saying £44 now

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system, giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

In the meantime, I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst this may appear to be a potential case of defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are rather difficult to pursue. Many people are keen on suing for defamation without having full appreciation of the law or practicalities in doing so. I will try and clarify the position below.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. There has to be a defamatory statement - the assessment that is often used to establish this is whether the statement tends to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally

2. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant – this will vary based on what effect it will have but it really has to be something sufficiently serious

3. The statement has been published by the defendant to a third party

4. The claimant must prove that the words complained of were published about him - this should not be an issue if the claimant is named or clearly identified.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has taken place, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is often complex and prohibitively expensive. A claim must be made in the High Court and will likely require the help of professional defamation lawyers, so the costs will often be high right from the outset, usually in the thousands. There is also no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally.

You must also consider whether the publisher of the statement can potentially defend the claim. For example, this can happen by proving the statement was true or an honest opinion which could have been made based on the available facts.

Instead of starting legal proceedings it would be best to contact the publisher of the comment, advise them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement and issue an apology. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, which would avoid the need for court action. Of course, if they refuse to comply the option of suing still exists, but consider the above information before going down that route.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the information

All the best