Ask a Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
1. What information do you want on naming your business? What intended name do you have in mind and what is the problem with it?
2. What area are you going to trade in?
3. You will need to contact Customer Service to see if you have been charged for the Live Phone Service. I don't have that information to hand.
4. What line of business are you going to trade in? I didn't mean the geographical location.
5. You need to chose a different name for your business because under the law of passing off, any existing business, such as Sainsbury's with goodwill in catering or takeaway can sue you for use of the same name of them, which they currently trade under. So, whilst the business in America is unlikely to come after you for using the same name as them, there is the possibility of someone like Sainsbury's objecting to your business name because they have existing goodwill in a catering business with the same name. Additionally, it is likely that Sainsbury's have trademarked this trading name for categories in the trademark registration. So, you will need to check what categories they have trademarked because they can prevent you trading in any of these categories, such as catering, if they have trademarked the name. So, I would advise you to choose some other name for your business.
6. If you want to provide additional details, I will be happy to clarify my answer. Thank you for using the website.
7. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.
8. Yes, American businesses only get interesting in naming rights if they want to open up in the UK. Secondly, you need to check the trademark register to see what areas of business the name "fresh kitchen" has been trademarked by Sainsbury's. Be aware that they will almost certainly have trademarked a name they trade under as this is what their legal advisers would advise so as to protect them against competition using the same name.
9. You are welcome. Best wishes.