Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I paid an annual fee for my daughter's school bus for her

I paid an annual fee for my daughter's school bus for her last academic year in school in UK and given that we have been on lockdown since March (and my daughter hasn't and will not be using the service) and given that the private company has probably secured self-employment funds from the government i asked the proprietor, if there was any chance of some refund. I was told no and i wanted to know what my rights are please.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In UK, Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing other than sending a text to him asking, and he then sent me an e/mail saying the following:
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm responding to enquiries concerning the interruption to school transport caused by Covid 19 and in particular to the question of refunding unused periods.As you will recall from this years primary (and previous years) seat allocation email our service is conditional on fulfilling the full school year. We do not offer a termly or pay-as-you-use service for the under-noted reasons. The method of collecting the annual charge (which formally falls due at the start of the school year) is often by a discretionary monthly instalment arrangement to help with family cash flow.1/ - The annual charge underwrites the viability and ongoing sustainability of the service from one academic year to the next. This includes maintenance of vehicles, operator licensing requirements and other fixed overheads including the retention of professional drivers / sub-contractors.2/ - The annual charge is calculated to achieve this across the number of users for the full three terms. The more users (max 16 per vehicle) the lower the cost.I'm sorry I can't be the bearer of better news as I realise a lot people will have had their income severely curtailed like ourselves.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Are you able to upload a copy of the school's terms and conditions on here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not a school-run bus. it is a privately-run organisation in the village we live in

So do you have an agreement with the bus company that you can upload?