How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewExpertAS4920 Your Own Question
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 385
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
NewExpertAS4920 is online now

I have a Tomlin order with an agreement to pay back an

This answer was rated:

Hi - I have a Tomlin order with an agreement to pay back an agreed sum after a dispute.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norwich Norfolk UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The Claimant wants to enforce the Tomlin
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how does the Court enforce the Tomlin eg CCJ and what happens if I cant pay.
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: ok

Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we continue here please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this only work if you call me?

A Tomlin order stays the claim on terms which have been agreed. If you do not comply with the terms the Claimant has the right to pursue the claim until hearing. If it is a debt claim, and the debt is in fact owed, the Claimant will receive an order against the respondent i.e. a CCJ against the respondent. The Respondent will need to settle in the debt in the time specified by the Court, usually 14 days. If you cannot afford the judgement debt then you should come to an arrangement with the Claimant to settle the same.

The Claimant can indeed instructed enforcement officers/ bailiffs to recover the debt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
does the Tomlin Schedule need to expressly state that the agreement is in breach if the payments are not met. Or is it simply enough for the claimant to go to court if a payment has been missed?

The Claimant can simply go to the Court if payments are missed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the court give time to pay by installments or can they only enforce the agreement and not vary it

They can enforce the agreement. I suggest you contact the Claimant directly to agree alternative arrangement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much - how much do I owe you

No problem at all. Please kindly accept my answer and Just answer will credit me accordingly. best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accept your answer. Many thanks

Thank you. You are required to rate my answer. I believe there are stars on your screen. I would appreciate a 5* rating.

NewExpertAS4920 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you