How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8870
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My cousin is in relationship with a Brazilian girl who holds

This answer was rated:

Hi, my cousin is in relationship with a Brazilian girl who holds a Portuguese passport. He lives in Ireland on a Student Visa but met her in UK while visiting me. They would like to get engage and apply for a visa for him, is it possible to obtain a Visa to stay and work in UK, just by being engaged? They are both not ready for a marriage yet, but would like to spend time together and see how things progress, but for that he needs legal right to stay in UK. Any advise you can give us will be very helpful.
JA: What steps has your cousin taken? Have they filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your cousin live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: Hi so far we have not done anything. My cousin is Brazilian and lives in Ireland on a student Visa. Viviane who is my friend leaves in England as she holds a Portuguese passport, but she is also Brazilian.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: We have not talked to anyone yet. The student visa he already has as he is studying english in Dublin, but with that visa he can not live, stay and work in UK.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hi thank you for your message, there are visa's of this nature but they only allow for a 6 month period of residence during which the couple must marry. There is also the EU settlement scheme which would enable him to get pre-settled status in the UK and stay for up to 5 years but they would need to be married for that. He could apply for a visa such as a work visa but not on the basis of his being engaged to an EU national. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you