Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

We are in the process of purchasing a property which has a

We are in the process of purchasing a property which has a cesspool, the pool has been surveyed which indicates that the interior wall is breached due to tree roots. Which therefore could allow seepage into the surrounding ground.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The vendor has had a CCTV scan of the pool, we have had advice that it isn't inline with the new law change from Jan 2020. we've been advise the cesspool is now illegal based on the new guidelines
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Prestwood, Buckinghamshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We just want to know if the cesspool is illegal, can we re-approach with an offer taking onboard the cost of this repair/connection to the main drain.

Hi, does the cesspool serve only the property which you are buying or does it serve any other property? Kind Regards Andrew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Andrew, the cesspool only serves our property, the neighbours & street has main drain connection

As a background, a Buyer takes the property as they find it so if there is anything which is discovered to be defective, it is always best to liaise with the Seller/their Agents before exchanging Contracts so any necessary defect can be remedied or a suitable price reduction is given.

The cesspool is indeed legal, even if it is in a bad condition but you will of couse be responsible for remedying its defect or arranging the installation of a new septic tank/connecting to the mains drainage,after you have moved in. So, if I were you, I would certianly be going back to the Seller/Agents with a request to reduce your offer by the sum it will cost you to connect to the mains drainage/install a new septic tank as it appears to me that long term, the cesspool is not the best way to deal with the foul drainage. I would certainly hope that the Seller will see this as a reasonable request and may agree to reduce the price by 100% of this cost or at least 50% (what agreement is reached comes down to the bargaining powers of you and the Seller).

I hope this assists and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave feedback with 4 or 5 stars before you leave the site today. I am then happy to answer any follow up question.

Kind Regards Andrew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much Andrew, much appreciated

Many thanks!

All the best

Andrew