How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5117
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I was arrested for class A drug possession around 5 years

Customer Question

Hi there, I was arrested for class A drug possession around 5 years ago and am trying to work out if I will be stopped going into countries like Japan if I try to go for work. I spent a few hours in a cell in the police station and had my fingerprint taken, but they said it wouldn't be on my record permanently. I would like somebody to help me discover what my record currently looks like to ensure I can travel in the future. Thanks!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I'm in London, UK I haven't spoken to a lawyer. I was wondering who I should speak to
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried to ring the police but they don't have my record
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I basically just want to work out whether I can travel to Japan or the USA where, and therefore whether I have a mark on my criminal record. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am a solicitor working between the U.K. and the USA.

I will assist you today.

You were not charged is that correct, was a police caution given.

Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

As far as travelling to Japan. Japanese Ministry of Justice has interpreted the restrictions imposed by Japan’s Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act to bar entry to anyone sentenced to more than a year in prison, and anyone convicted of a drug offense, felony or misdemeanor, no matter how dated or minor. conviction.

Therefore, as no conviction you are fine for Japan.

The USA is different. Even though you have no conviction. You could be refused entry at the boarder if you travelled under the ESTA visa waiver system. The US embassy recommends anyone with a caution to play safe an apply for a travel visa to enter the country. As a tourist, that would be a B1/B2 visa. You apply for that in London.

Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I have not heard back, can I assist further or are you fine with the answer

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.