UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My landlord on my business premises i have occupied for 28

Customer Question

Hi My landlord on my business premises i have occupied for 28 years sublet to a third party, can the third party call himself the landlord and increase the rent and offer a 1 year lease when he doesn't own the premises
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: not in good condition and is 75% asbestos
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: the original lease was a verbal agreement with the landlord some 28 years ago. and apparently he has retired now and is renting all the units to a individual who is renting the units for a year on the pretext of buying the property at the end of the year, so what i am asking is if after a year the bank wont lend him the money to buy the premises , how do i stand
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

No, until this third party buys the property, he cannot call himself the landlord as he does not have any interest in the property. He may be an agent of the landlord until such a time that the landlord assigns his interest to this third party.

May I help further? If not, please click on 5 stars