UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a director of a company and my service agreement

I am a director of a company and my service agreement contains a clause that I cannot resign without board approval (I am a member of the board aswell). I am having a dispute with a fellow director and just want to leave is there any way round this? There is 2 years remaining on the service contract I.e it’s fixed term
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee of the company via a service contract.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it Thank uiu thank you.

You may resign but if you do so without board approval, you will be in breach of your service agreement.

You may file your resignation at Companies House by filing form TM01: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/terminate-an-appointment-of-a-director-tm01

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the consequences of being in breach of the agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I call you tomorrow?

We do not need to speak on the phone.

They may file legal proceedings against you for damages but they would need to show what loss they suffer as a result of you being in breach of contract.

If possible, you should notify the board that you wish to resign and seek their consent so that you are not in breach.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank uou

You are welcome.